After many revelations and repercussions, this week’s episode of Supergirl, titled “The Fanatical,” actually dug into the difficult methods secret identities have been colliding for our heroes and whether or not or not these points might be resolved.
James within the Spotlight
In the method of defending Tanya, the younger lady who escaped the darks halls of Coville’s cult, James’ secret id is revealed. Facing the likelihood that the cultists might publicly unmask him leads him to coping with some heavy feelings.
James has been extra within the background for a stretch, so it was nice to see him entrance and middle, and with such a robust storyline. There’s a whole lot of difficult intersections at play for James and I appreciated that the writers did not draw back from all of it. While he offers with the battle of sustaining a secret id like Kara, he additionally has to cope with his race and the way that impacts the best way individuals see him as an individual and a hero. Tanya’s response to discovering James is Guardian was a stark distinction to the cops who held him at gunpoint, letting the actual dangerous guys escape, and a easy and nice exemplification of this concern. The writers layered all of the methods James’ navigates his identities, huge and small, via the episode (hiya hidden costume compartment in his elevator) and established the dangers of disrupting it properly.
Mehcad Brooks put in an particularly nice efficiency, delivering the emotional highs and lows of the episode in an actual means. The scene the place James advised Lena about being handcuffed for no purpose when he was seven years previous is up there with one of the best of the season. Not each actor can play the complete vary—from tonight’s vulnerability to being cool and assured, however not obnoxious.
Supergirl and Lena: Still Rocky
Kara lastly confronted James about his spilling the break-into-the-vault beans to Lena. Well, “confront” is perhaps a bit robust. She was upset and admitted that it wasn’t her greatest choice, however she anticipated James to have her again. This, in fact, turns right into a dialogue about her navigating her human and superhero lives. She does not need to inform Lena she’s Supergirl, not solely to guard her, however as a result of she’s afraid to be lumped in with everybody else who’s betrayed Lena. I have been speaking about this the previous few episodes, theorizing that this was what’s been making Kara act a bit out of character, and it seems I used to be heading in the right direction.
Kara additionally tried to apologize to Lena as Supergirl, as I discussed she ought to attempt final episode, and…properly, Lena simply wasn’t having it. It definitely did not assist that Supergirl already acquired indignant a few new anti-Kryptonian know-how that Lena created to rein in Reign. I am glad they’re persevering with down this sluggish path of decision. It’s far more sensible and I consider this can make their hopefully reinstated friendship that rather more satisfying because it’ll really feel extra earned, versus every thing out of the blue being okay.
Part of making an attempt to reconcile with the state of affairs concerned Kara discussing her id points with lots of people, getting totally different factors of view. The most in-depth dialog was with James, as they reconciled and mutually apologized. Them relating on this degree was a pleasant added layer of depth to their relationship and an excellent reminder of why they’re associates within the first place. I am glad they did not draw their argument out. There’s sufficient happening with out that being an issue and this can be a a lot better instance of dealing with issues than simply sitting on issues passive aggressively.
- We received to see Winn and Lena work together a bit tonight, which I really feel has been a misplaced gem of interplay this season. Also, I proceed to be very completely happy that Lena is proven to be such a genius and all of the tribulations that include that.
- Ruby is depressed and Alex is making an attempt to assist and distract her, however she simply needs to be left alone. It seems she’s frightened she may additionally turn out to be a Worldkiller, which is an excellent legitimate concern. We have but to see if she has any powers, however with Lena’s potential remedy in improvement, it might be one thing that is resolved earlier than it ever turns into an “issue” (if it will be problematic versus one thing probably enjoyable and helpful).
- J’onn tried to take M’yrnn to an arcade to make use of VR video games to assist together with his reminiscences. It…did not work. Like, it went actually badly AND THESE WRITERS CONTINUE TO BREAK MY HEART. I did, nevertheless, take pleasure in seeing Ruby and M’yrnn bond over foosball as a result of he was genuinely comfortable in that second and that is all I would like for him for endlessly.
- Even although Olivia was the primary to problem Coville when he tried to explode that stadium, she stored visiting him in jail as a result of she felt misplaced. This made her improve to management standing within the cult. I feel this was an incredible instance of how arduous it’s to get somebody out of a dangerous state of affairs like this, particularly when perception is concerned. And how, finally, understanding and kindness are keys to serving to somebody by means of troubled durations.
- Lena needs to face beside James throughout his press convention and that is only a robust relationship transfer. I can dig it.
- Mon-El obtained to don his “Mike” disguise once more so as to infiltrate the cult’s ceremony area. Remember how final season this might’ve in all probability have gone horribly awry? It was good to see him act decisively and appropriately on this state of affairs. Also, I loved his enjoying off the kidnapping state of affairs as being afraid. It was good schtick.
- The ceremony battle scene was a spotlight. I notably respect the paralleling fights with the shadows behind the theater display. I can not wait to see what the finale battle scenes will probably be like.
- Much progress on the Kara/Mon-El entrance, very wow. So, it seems to be like we’ll be navigating this revelation subsequent week. They’ll doubtless find yourself again collectively, however I at the very least hope they take it slower than final season.
- The cult’s plan to make a brand new Worldkiller was foiled in the long run. However, Coville exhibits up on the crime scene and tells the guard there that he is by no means been higher. This cannot be good.
How do did you are feeling about this week’s episode? Do you assume James’ volunteering to publicly unmask was a very good determination? Is Kara dealing with her relationship with Lena higher? Any predictions for subsequent week? Let us know!