If you, like me, have been questioning how they have been going to degree up the already difficult state of affairs with Reign, it seems the reply to that was present in the similar place as her supposed salvation. This week’s episode, “The Dark Side of the Moon,” primarily arrange what I am guessing are going to be some big strikes in the previous couple of episodes.
Argo City Revelations
First of all, sure, that’s Kara’s hometown. It survived because of her father’s improvements, however it stays hurtling by way of area, cloaked and secure (for now). They do have a protecting dome and a mysterious energy supply like the Supergirl movie—one that’s in dwindling provide. If that does not find yourself being handled this season, that might be a probably huge plotline in Season four. There are loads of nice comedian arcs that may be tailored to deal with it. But I am getting forward of myself.
Beyond the proven fact that Kryptonians survived, which is an enormous deal, Alura is amongst them, which is a fair greater deal. In one other Super reference, she continues to be performed by Erica Durance, who additionally performed Lois Lane on Smallville. Durance had good chemistry with Melissa Benoist and I actually did take pleasure in all the scenes that confirmed Kara and Alura catching up. Durance tapped right into a…restrained pleasure that was very fascinating. Alura definitely was glad and overwhelmed to be reunited together with her daughter, however she maintained a type of regal air.
You know who else is there? I imply, sure, Tim Russ was enjoying considered one of the council members, which could be very cool as a result of it is a uncommon second of Big Franchise Crossover (he is most generally generally known as Tuvok on Star Trek: Voyager). But the actual shock was a lady named Selena, seemingly the head of the council, who’s, the truth is, the darkish priestess we have been seeing information the Worldkillers! I knew there needed to have been a purpose we’ve not heard the priestess’ identify till now. And, after voting to provide Kara the ore they got here for, she goes to get her darkish chanting on. What sort of ritual is she performing? Is she simply making an attempt to make contact with Reign, or is there one thing else happening? And will the remainder of Argo City discover out about her eventually? It’s all very intriguing and I might wager we’ll discover out much more subsequent week.
Winn Is the Worst Babysitter
…But he acquired higher! Someone was making an attempt to kill Alex whereas she was with Ruby so, so as to hold her protected, she’s delivered to the DEO and left there for Winn to observe regardless of his protests. With 4 storylines happening directly, they did not get a ton of time collectively however Winn and Ruby interacting was essential for Ruby’s psychological well being. She’s fearful that she’s going to develop into evil like her mother. Winn can relate, being the son of a supervillain who tried to kill him repeatedly. Meeting somebody who’s not solely been by way of what she’s going via, however got here out a superb individual on the different aspect ought to be comforting.
I am assuming Ruby can be a reasonably long-term character, so I am glad we’re seeing situations the place she’s getting some type of counseling (though, for actual, she wants knowledgeable therapist instantly). And I actually do consider all this goodwill that Ruby feels will find yourself being the key to one thing earlier than this season ends.
Reign/Dear Lena Games
Lena grapples with probably flooding Reign’s system with Synthetic Kryptonite earlier than she turns into absolutely resistant. In the meantime, Reign taunts her, saying that Lena is simply as darkish and ruthless as she is. Now, this type of jabbering is fairly normal captured villain fare. What is totally different right here is that Lena truly presses the button. I imply, I am not solely stunned. She was getting antsy ready for Supergirl to return and Reign was very clearly near escaping. And James primarily offered her with the permission to do the pragmatic, albeit pessimistic, factor.
The factor that considerations me most about this transfer is my beforehand, repeatedly said worry that Lena goes to show right into a Big Bad. Because this undoubtedly feels prefer it might be a step in that path based mostly on superhero story conventions…however, then once more, the collection has typically been good about subverting anticipated tropes.
- Some of Alex’s actions tonight made her involved that she would not be capable of reconcile the one that does not hesitate to take dangers for her job with being a mother. What’s necessary about this dialog with J’onn is that it seems like, whereas she’s very a lot about defending and caring for Ruby, turning into her guardian completely is not her plan. This dialogue might present some perception about Ruby’s future, no matter whether or not or not they save Sam. I might wish to see Ruby pop up subsequent season however I do not essentially need Alex to already be taking good care of a child long-term. That feels extra like a Season 5 or 6 transfer.
- Kara says she appreciated being on this journey with Mon as a result of she might be herself and never fear about secret identities. That’s additionally one thing she does not have to fret about in Argo City. I will be curious to see how this character disaster performs out with not one (visiting the future) however now two choices for her to flee that battle ought to she want a break.
- I dug how Kara’s impassioned speech to the council and Alex’s chasing after her would-be murderer was juxtaposed.
- Mon provides a sick boy a tool that primarily rewrites DNA to remedy illness, saying they will cross it alongside to the subsequent sick individual after the boy is cured. Alura additionally acknowledged him as the Daxamite Prince, however stated that he deserves a second probability like the survivors right here. I really feel like these two issues work in tangent as an additional step at rehabbing his character from final season. And I do like this model of Mon, so you will get no complaints for me.
- Also, I do marvel who that child is…or somewhat is perhaps? Sounded like his identify was Val. Could this be a reference to Valor, one in every of Mon-El’s comedian names? Lar Gand was his father on the present, so it is extremely potential Valor is a separate individual as properly.
What do you assume Selena’s ceremony is for? Do you assume they will have the ability to save Sam? How do you assume the surviving Kryptonians slot in to all this? Share your ideas and theories with us under!